Pairing IKEA Tradfri Smart Lights with SmartThings (How-To)
IKEA’s initial roll-out of smart lighting is a good value with a limited set of functionality, whether you use the physical remotes or the app and their gateway. But luckily, IKEA built Tradfri on the ubiquitous Zigbee standard, so it’s possible to use the Swedish smart bulbs on other smart home controllers. By using a different smart home hub or controller, you can also get more functionality out of your existing IKEA smart bulbs.
The first thought is, of course, adding the bulbs to Philips Hue. But this comes with some troubles that haven’t yet been resolved. IKEA is evidently working on a fix with Philips Hue so that their bulbs can be added and controlled from the very popular smart lighting system. The next thought, of course, is SmartThings. There isn’t an official integration here either, but users have managed to put together some device profiles to make the Tradfri bulbs work pretty well.
The embedded video contains all of the detailed steps with screen casts via smartphone and computer to show you how everything should work. But, below is a list of the basic steps and associated helpful links. As there are a few little technical things to get done, this isn’t completely something for the non-technically-inclined, but it’s fairly simple.
Here's the essential steps to get Tradfri lights setup and running directly on SmartThings:
- Setup a SmartThings developer account at developer.smartthings.com
- Find your particular developer portal server address, because once you login may get a message that you “don’t have any hubs” (even though you did complete the developer setup correctly). Use this page and try out the links until your hub shows up.
- Select all the code on this page and copy it to get the Tradfri device handler for SmartThings.
- In your SmartThings developer portal, click the Device Handlers menu item, click “Create New Device Handler”, then click “From Code”. Paste the code into the box then click “Create”. Then click the “Publish” button, then select and click the “For Me” option that appears.
- If you previously had your IKEA lights paired to the IKEA Tradfri Gateway or remote controls, reset them by first turning them on, then flip the light off and back on again six times in rapid succession. The light will then blink very quickly to confirm it has been reset.
- Add the light(s) to SmartThings via the normal process of adding a “Thing” to your hub. Turn the light on when you start the “Add” process and put it very close to your SmartThings hub.
- If the light is not identified as an “IKEA Tradfri” light, then you’ll need to adjust the “Thing” in your SmartThings developer portal. To do this, click the “My Devices” menu item and then click the name of your mis-identified IKEA light. Then click the “Edit” button, and on the next screen, pull down the “Type” menu and scroll it to the bottom and select IKEA-Tradfri option and click the “Update” button.
- Congratulations! You should now have full control of the IKEA light(s) that you just added, and can control them just like any other SmartThings device.
Want to control IKEA Tradfri bulbs with your voice? Check out this bonus video to learn how to set it up via the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa!